Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Top 100 Children's Books


NYC Librarian Elizabeth Bird, who maintains a blog at School Library Journal called A Fuse #8 Production, sponsored a poll of the best children's chapter books of all-time. It's a fantastic list. I've read many of these books and there are books on this list that I still need to read. Try clicking on the links for the individual books. Ms. Bird has provided commentary about each title, presented multiple cover illustrations for each book, and she also provides links to videos relevant to the titles.

My thoughts:

When You Reach Me already ranks #39. It will continue to rise as more people read the book.

A sequel to The Westing Game will supposedly be released later in the year. Ellen Raskin died in 1984, but evidently she wrote a manuscript for the sequel. I'm curious about the sequel, but on the other hand, I don't think The Westing Game particularly needs one. I loved The Westing Game when I read it as a kid, and I still think it's a classic.

The Golden Compass ranks #45. It would rank much higher on my own personal list, of course. However, I think the His Dark Materials trilogy transcends children's literature, so it doesn't surprise me that it has a relative low ranking on this list.
-
Can't really argue with the #1 choice: Charlotte's Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment